Welcome to the website of the Georgia Chapter of the Air & Waste Management Association. We are dedicated to preserving the quality of our environment for generations to come.
To begin, please choose a subject matter on the left Navigation bar. We welcome any feedback about our site and its content. To share your opinions please visit our message boards and post a message with your thoughts.
Please find our latest announcements to the right. Click the Login link to access member's only content. Thanks for visiting our site and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
To join as a Chapter Associate select the Join Now button in the upper left Navigation Bar of this site. To join as a National A&WMA member, go to www.awma.org and click on the Join / Renew link.
There is much to say about people that volunteer their time to improve the education and professional growth of others that they may not know. That is why it is an honor to serve as your Chair for 2015. I am pleased to share that I am supported by a Board consisting of regulators, consultants, attorneys and industry professionals that are focused on providing neutral forums for exchanging information, outreach and networking opportunities to improve your environmental knowledge and to aid in your professional growth. I am so excited about what we are going to do this year.
- Regulatory Conference – All of the speakers at this conference are regulators, both state and federal. This annual event is packed with information and usually well attended each year. It will be held on Wednesday March 25th at the Sam Nunn Atlanta Federal Center. The proceeds from this event funds the scholarships that we give to Georgia graduate students. We have already reserved the room and caterer. We need your help with ideas for speakers /topics. We have other volunteer opportunities (i.e., registration, etc.)
- Southern Section Conference –Every 4 years, the Georgia Chapter hosts the Southern Section conference in which our sister Chapters from Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee join us. Don’t miss this event. It will be held on August 19 – 21st at Callaway Gardens. It is our chance to show off the Georgia Chapter and the State. Last year, Alabama set the bar with attendance (nearly 200). But we can meet or exceed their attendance. Most of all, I want to provide you a memorable (positive) experience packed with a lot of good information and networking and outreach opportunities. We have plenty of volunteer opportunities.
- Student Chapter / Young Professionals– I am so proud of what our Georgia Tech student chapter is doing. Xinbei Guan is the chapter president. I want us to continue providing support and guidance to the chapter. Thank you to all that have helped to make that student chapter a success by volunteering your time to speak and providing other support. They will have their first meeting on January 19th. Our young professionals are the future decision makers for everything environmental in Georgia. We will look for opportunities via Brownbag meetings, conferences and YP events to provide educational and networking events to aid them in their professional growth. Please send any ideas for events to me.
- Membership - I am pleased to announce that we received an award from the Air & Waste Management Association (A&WMA) International for our membership development in 2014. Let’s continue that momentum. I challenge each of you to renew your membership and to recruit at least one new member. I joined this organization a few years ago and have loved every minute of it. I am sure that you have peers that may benefit from membership in our Chapter as well.
- Newsletter & Social Outreach – We would like to restart our newsletter. We have someone who has volunteered to be the editor. We just need content. If you or someone you know would like to write an article about what they are doing as it relates to the environmental professions and core values, then please put them in contact with me or Joan Sasine. I would like to target March 30th for our first newsletter. Along those same lines, please visit our website to join our Facebook page and Linked-In group.
- Leadership – We are an organization built upon the efforts of our volunteers. If you or someone in your organization is seeking external leadership experience, then please email me. I would like to invite you to one of our Board meetings or events. We have plenty of opportunities and we would love for you to participate on a committee or lead a team. Little did I know a few years ago that my efforts as the Scholarships Chair would lead to my role as Chapter Chair. I would very much like to work with you, our 2016 or 2017 Chair.
Chair of A&WMA - Georgia Chapter
Georgia Power - Environmental Affairs